Next Page
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page  of 17

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2647 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  19:34:35 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I though i would move this into the projects section as it will need quite a lot of work before i am entirley happy..

Edited by - john-saab on 10 Nov 2009 19:51:54

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2647 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  07:42:17 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I managed to find time to do a few jobs on the car yesterday, i took it to work and had to wait alongside a very valuable piece of survey equipment while it done it's thing..no time to do any of the real jobs that need doing but enough time to "tinker".
Doesn't look mutch but thats the better end of 17,000 worh of equipment..

I took the boot lock apart..the lock wasn't working and after a clean up with brake cleaner and a dusting of graphite powder it now locks..the locking pin is a little worn but i will have a look at the spares i have and see if they are any better, if they are as bad i will build the pin up with weld.
The drivers mirror is bent and wouldn't hold in place..the plastic locating ring that holds the mirror in the head was still flexible so i removed it..straightend up the head..cleaned everything up..and tightened up the screw..it now works as it should..even at motorway speeds.
The lip that holds the weather strip along the top of the drivers door has rotted out along the front 1/3rd..the rubber strip was flapping around so i used black mastic to "glue" it down..it's stuck down well and hopefuly this will keep the rain out of the door bottom. I have never repaired one of these lips before..i can make one but access for a welding head is poor..i may have to cut the inner door top off..weld the lip in and then weld the door top back ...it's worth it as the door is in excellent condition apart from this lip.
With a little more time on my hands i spent a while under the bonnet..getting to know the engine bay a little better. The plug leads are a mix and match affair..they are pretty old so will need replacing..as will the plugs, rotor and distributor cap. My biggest worry with the engine is the lower pulley..it has no "front to back" movment but if i gently pull the fan belt there is about 5mm of movement before it "locks"...almost like an opened up woodruff key slot if you know what i mean?
A days "work" done and the drive home became a slog as i hit traffic..the brakes started to squeal a bit and once i had cleared traffic the car felt under powered..i pulled over as i was sure it was a brake issue..the N/S wheel was very hot..the caliper has very very very hot. I put the car into reverse and applied the brake and it clonked..the pad's freed up and i took a very steady drive home.
The brake issues carried on as i pulled up at home..i applied the hand brake while opening the garage door..got back in the car and tried to drive in..with the hand brake lever released the car wouldn't move...it did a little if i tried but the drivers side rear wheel didn't turn..it had locked up. I lifted the car and gave it a kick..it moved a bit and with a wiggle it released.
I'm taking the camper in to work for the rest of this week..It's Goodwood this weekend so unless i get a few evenings in this week it's going to be a while before i get and spare time to strip the brakes down...that's enough time to buy new rear wheel cylinders..i have the flexi hoses, one brand new original caliper..a re-built caliper and a pair of new discs. While it's all apart i will renew all of the shoes, pads and fitting kits..i may even get the drums skimmed if they need it and i will order a set of front and rear bearings..just incase.i can use them on one of the other cars if they are not needed.

Edited by - john-saab on 05 Jul 2009 21:53:14
Go to Top of Page

Alrawli
V4 Beginner

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  11:13:15 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Is that a Leica GPS? We do alot of laser scanning with a Scanstation mainly heritage work.
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2647 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  20:40:51 Show Profile Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alrawli
Is that a Leica GPS?

Yes it is..this was the base station for 2 other mobile units that are part of a very large scheme on the South coast...it's the little brother of the system we were using today..

I have secured a large space in a nice cool workshop for the weekend. I have a gear box..it's one i was given a few years back and i was unsure of it's quality..a chance phone call from the guy who gave it to me assured me it's a good box..so that's going in.
Plans run like this..Friday evening..get the box and as many spares as possible into the back of the camper..thats a 20 mile round trip..collect engine hoist..3 miles in the other direction. Get the car into the workshop and gather tools together from 3 different workshops. That should take most of the evening but i'm hoping to get the bonnet off and the front panel.
SAT..remove all of the bits and remove the engine. Remove gear box and clean the engine bay. I know of at least one area that needs welding so that will be done so that i can get a bit of paint on it.
SUN..clean engine..re-fit box then engine..all the bits..pub lunch
Yeah right...we will see!

Edited by - john-saab on 05 Jul 2009 21:54:47
Go to Top of Page

Woody
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2373 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  20:55:32 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I like a man with a mission...
Hope all goes well.
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2647 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  20:47:44 Show Profile Reply with Quote
So far so good..just ahead of plan but i have already spotted a few areas that need looking at later..i might see if they can be done this weekend but i will wait and see how things go.
I went to my workshop to collect the box and a few other bits..i reversed into the workshop and the gearbox almost locked up...it's long over due for replacement.
After a jet wash it looks OK..very scruffy so i will get stuck into cleaning while i'm in there.

This is one area that i will try to fix sooner rather than later..what a mess..

I gave up as i have had a long day in the heat..tomorrow i hope to get at least 12 hrs on the car..should prove productive!
I have noticed that the bottom pulley has a little play in it..not front to back but side to side..i can live with it for a while but i have a better engine that needs gaskets and de-carbonising before fitting.

Edited by - john-saab on 03 Jul 2009 21:04:02
Go to Top of Page

PDickens
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
519 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  11:57:52 Show Profile Visit PDickens's Homepage Reply with Quote
Great stuff John - looks like it will be an A1 motor too when finished. Can forgive you now for deserting the ranks of Souvenir owners.......almost!

Paul

"There is a thin dividing line between a hobby and mental illness"
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2647 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  07:06:51 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Yesterday almost went to plan..i was distracted several times so i didn't get a full day in...
The engine came out with little effort..

Once out i could see that one of the inner drive shaft boots had torn away..

Distraction number one..
A friend dropped around ..he had 2 tickets for Goodwood Festival of speed and as he has no interest in cars at all he asked if i would like to take his son (Alex sometimes helps me in the garage..he's 14 and learning vehicle mechanics at Shoreham colledge one day a week while at school). I had to say "no" as i was keen to get the car finished this weekend but i had a nieghbour who was keen to go so i called him and within 5 mins the boys were set and ready to go..

Next was the gearbox..I lifted the carpets in the car..took the rubber bung out that covers the rear gearbox support bolt to find the bolt out and lying on the floor..the gear box was removed ...a very messy engine bay..

I spent a bit of time cleaning the bay and found 2 spanners and a screw driver hidden at the back.

Distraction number two..
The owner of the garage i am using turned up to look at his new toy..i spent quite a lot of time with him going over the car looking for faults...we couldn't find any..

I spent a bit more time cleaning the engine and the gearbox..then made a start on cleaning up the bottom of the innet tower as it had rusted where it meets the engine bay floor (pics later)..
Distraction number three..
I had been chatting to the garage owner when he mentioned an on going brake issue with his Daimler Dart..some times the pedel would bite at the top..sometimes it would travel almost to the floor before biting..the brakes always worked but it was unnerving..3 brand new master cylinders later..a new servo..a full set of calipers..new braded flexi hoses and a compleate set of copper pipes and the issue was still there..his mechanic was still baffeled..i mentioned the balencer and he told me it doesn't have one..it has a restricter..a ball at the end of a spring. I asked if this had been changed..yes 3 times and still there was an issue.By now i was convinced that there was trapped air in the system. I then asked how the car was bled after these items were fitted.."pressure bled every time" BINGO!!! I have had this before..some systems are very sensitive to pressure bleeding..it upsets the balencer..or in this case the restrictor..we bled the system manually and the pedel is exactly where it should be..it fades in if pressed gently or brings the car up sharp if hit hard. He's a happy man and we left the workshop for a few pints!

Edited by - john-saab on 05 Jul 2009 21:50:02
Go to Top of Page

James Ranaldi
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1350 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  10:44:30 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Some neighbours you have !!

Great to see the happy little chap off to Goodwood....fine taxi !!

Result on the Dart brakes.....love it when a problem is solved.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Cheers

James
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2647 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  21:53:26 Show Profile Reply with Quote
The engine and gearbox are now fitted.i used an engine i have had for a while as i know it is smooth running and the engine that came with the car will now be re-built...possibly over winter.
The gear box i fitted looked clean and dry from the outside..it feels to be ok on the output shaft and the input shaft..

I chose this time to empty the oil..this was easy but the drain plug had more filings than i was hoping for...

Getting the filler plug open proved to be a real pain..

even with a proper plug tool..

So..the brain cells went into overtime..heating isn't worth trying..i could damage the casing..i thought about using a chisel and forcing it..again i could have damaged it..then a mate suggested a 1/2 inch socket driver..too big..A 3/8 driver was just a bit to small for a snug fit..but it worked..

I replaced the plug with a later one...and a little smear of copper slip..

Although the engine is in place it still has to be wired up and the hoses fitted..a bit behind plan but i have tomorrow afternoon off work

Edited by - john-saab on 06 Jul 2009 21:58:58
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2647 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  17:52:10 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Job done..the new gear box is super smooth. The engine needs a tune up..it splutters and wont rev properly..i will fit a better carb tomorrow and renew all of the electric side of the engine. The calipers are still waiting to be fitted..that's a job for the morning.
The bonnet cable snapped and it at it's very end..time to try out the MGB cable.
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2647 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  07:25:02 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I have now fitted the front calipers..new flexi hoses and new brake discs. Hopefully i will get time to start on the rear brakes today.
Still needs a good tune up..again hopefully today i will get a chance to see why it's spluttering on fast acceleration..i suspect the carb is dirty.
Go to Top of Page

James Ayres
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
652 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  10:37:07 Show Profile Reply with Quote
A lot of graft going on there John, well done!

Keep on thrumming
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2647 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  19:49:41 Show Profile Reply with Quote
More progress. The front end is finished..i had trouble bleeding the brakes ..i couldn't bleed the O/S/F caliper..there was very little fluid getting through even with the pressure bleeder. I thought that the new hose was at fault..it was clear and the caliper piston was fine..the bleed nipple was good and all i could think was that the feed pipe from the splitter had dirt in it..that was fine. I took the master cylinder apart and foun that the 3rd seal doesn't look right...my manual doesn't cover this type of master but there is a common theme with them and the 2 centre seals should be "back to back"..the thing is that the master had worked like this and i'm wondering if the lack of fluid passing to the caliper was the reason it began to sieze..teh seals looked quite new so it's not been like that for long.
I then fitted the Weber carb that's been sitting around for a year or two..it wouldn't sit right..it rocked from side to side..i took it out again and noticed that the base plate was bent where it bolts down...on both sides. I dismantled the carb and gently warmed up the base of the body and with a bit of gentle persuasion with a small hammer managed to straighten it out.
With the carb fitted the engine feels great...the throttle response feels very sharp..but i haven't road tested it yet as some PLANK parked a van infront of my garage doors
Tomorrow..fit the NOS rear lever arm dampers and tighten up the hand brake!
Go to Top of Page

Derek
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1778 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  21:46:01 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Check your mailbox re MC diagram
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2647 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  15:23:14 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I have been playing with Veronica...I never liked the later plastic grill on the chrome bumpered cars..they look fine on the rubber bumper cars but teh chrome grill is much better looking in my eyes.

The problem is that the later front panel doesnt accept the earlier chrome grill. I had an earlier panel but the verona green paint i have is a slightly lighter shade than that on the car. You can see the different profiles of the later panel (still on the car) and the earlier panel..the section i am holding.

Rather than fitting the earlier panel and coating it in a miss matched paint i drilled the spot welds out of the 2 upright sections that support the headlight surrounds and welded them into the panel that is the correct colour.
With the new brackets in place i fitted the chrome grill. The only problem was that the original grill badge was in terrible condition so...with a bit of fettling i fitted a different badge..i like it and it's staying for now!

The badge looked a bit odd as the slat lines didn't line up with those on the grill so i added a black back to the badge..
Go to Top of Page
Page  of 17Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Jump To: 
Snitz Forums 2000
SAAB V4 Forum© 2000-04 Snitz CommunicationsGo To Top Of Page