Next Page
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page  of 2

transit80
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
775 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  21:43:49 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Today I found a hole in my radiator, so now I think its time to get it refurbed with an extra core, does anyone know how much this will cost?? and where in the Midlands I may get it done????.

TIA
Chris Wilcox

Woody
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2764 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  23:48:50 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I googled and found these over your way. My comp radiator was rebuilt at Serck in Nottingham in 1990, but I had one done locally. I would estimate about between £80-100. The one pictured in front on mine was done by Mansfield Radiators in 2006 apprx not 2002.( http://www.mansfieldradiators.com/ ) and he did a better job than Sercks. My how time flies..

http://www.readyrads.co.uk/

SERCK SERVICES
WEST MIDLANDS, B46 1JP BIRMINGHAM, UNIT 60/COLESHILL INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, STATION ROAD, COLESHILL
SERCK MARSTON
WEST MIDLANDS, B37 7YE BIRMINGHAM, 2100 THE CRESCENT, BIRMINGHAM BUSINESS PARK

Edited by - Woody on 04 May 2010 17:51:39
Go to Top of Page

Woody
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2764 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  17:53:35 Show Profile Reply with Quote
These rads are two core and Mansfield Radiators inferred then that three core would only be a little cheaper than two core 99.
Go to Top of Page

transit80
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
775 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  18:43:37 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Cheers Woody,have been in touch with Readyrads and Im dropping it off to them this week.
Thanks mate.

Chris Wilcox
Go to Top of Page

transit80
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
775 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  19:29:24 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Woody,just one more daft question,does it matter what condition the rad is in?????

Chris Wilcox
Go to Top of Page

UK_Sub
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2558 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  21:38:34 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Talking to a well respected Radiator man in London, he told me a radiator should never need three rows if it was designed with two - the only reason a radiator struggles to cool, is if it's blocked, so two new rows will be more than sufficient. Three rows could mean you struggle to get the car up to its running temperature - especially in the winter.

Simon
Go to Top of Page

Derek
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2192 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  23:25:23 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I didn't have mine done but talking to the guy who would have done it I got the answer that what he called a "sports core" would only increase the cooling by 10-15% max, as the tubes would be smaller and closer together. This doesn't increase the surface area very much and can slow the throughput of air. It was also about twice the price of a standard recore.
This was Bryan & Son, Tunbridge Wells. They did a nice job on the rad of a friends Chrysler Valiant. Big rad, not that cheap though.
Go to Top of Page

rsimps
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1616 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  08:03:03 Show Profile Reply with Quote
There is plenty of room for an extra core in the Saab rad. I have only run an extra core on modified engines with an electric fan. The rad ends need to be in good condition, the core can be scrap. It should cost around £80-£120 to re-core with an extra row. As said it only will give around 15pc extra cooling, but that is a fair bit extra. A good electric fan with thermostat control mounted up against the rad can help. This will only come on when required, so helps with warm up time, along with the rad blinds Saab sold.
Its not all to do with surface area, you need a temperature differential, so the same fin area positioned in a large flat area will give better heat transfer compaired to the same fin area positioned in a row.
Go to Top of Page

Woody
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2764 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  19:30:54 Show Profile Reply with Quote
"Woody,just one more daft question,does it matter what condition the rad is in?????"

If the side tanks are in good condition and the top and bottom rails are OK they will be cleaned and transferred. If the rails are damaged/rotten it may cost more to repair these parts.
I don't have any experience of three row rads. Having a pusher fan, thermostatically controlled, is possibly a better option than the extra cost of the three row, as Richard suggests.
Go to Top of Page

transit80
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
775 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  20:45:31 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Spoke to Readyrads in Cheapside,Birmingham today and hes refurbing my old rad(out of my old 71,96),new core(3),new rails(?),cleaned and tested etc etc £95 .

Chris Wilcox
Go to Top of Page

Derek
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2192 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  22:05:15 Show Profile Reply with Quote
As my rad was in very good nick I went the fan route.
Go to Top of Page

rsimps
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1616 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  07:37:24 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Looks smart!
Go to Top of Page

Woody
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2764 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  22:56:56 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Sure you must be related to Dr Who. Looks like it has appeared out a time warp from the factory in Trollhattan.
Go to Top of Page

Derek
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2192 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  00:25:10 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Thanks Woody! Maybe, Saab might have done it like that. The rest is mostly original.
Go to Top of Page

rhampsheir
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  09:24:49 Show Profile Reply with Quote
In reply to Simon's remarks, I had an extra core put in mine about 2 years ago,c ost about £130 I think, it does stay nice and cool in the summer, but as Simon say's it does struggle to get up to temperature in the winter.
Go to Top of Page

Woody
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2764 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  12:44:22 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Derek, what make/size of fan are you using? Considering putting a pusher on the Troll.
Go to Top of Page
Page  of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Jump To: 
Snitz Forums 2000
SAAB V4 Forum© 2000-04 Snitz CommunicationsGo To Top Of Page