Next Page
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page  of 6

Zagato
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  15:35:32 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I went to view this 1972 96 this morning as it was only just up the road from me and I was expecting it to be a real rot box BUT to my surprise (and my wife's disappointment as I became seriously interested!) she was in very solid condition. 1971 production was Lways good! Dotty was restored about 8 -10 years ago having been stood outside for most of her life by the look of it from the sun damage or over polishing. She has had four small patches of good welding underneath, the jacking points are all good, the floor pan to bulkhead and boot seams are good as is the front valance. The bottom of the doors have already been done to a good standard and the suspension tops in the boot have no signs of surface rust at all. The rust visible on the rear nearside quarter is only surface and underneath looked OK and withstood hard jabbing with a long screwdriver. I don,t know about the seam along the top of the wing, it maybe blowing underneath and need attention but the general condition solid condition that would pass an MOT sold her to me.

She has not run for a few years and I couldn,t get under the bonnet but as the rest was so good I thought it was worth the gamble. She is an ideal project for me to cut my teeth on and practice a few mechanical restoration skills . I say a few, brakes, fuel line bunged up probably, clutch maybe, balance shaft with 93k on the clock (why was it taken off the road!) coolant, fluid flush, electrics the list goes on but it will keep me out of trouble once my other one is back on the road hopefully by the end of this year once GMac has more time and can take mine on.

Edited by - Zagato on 25 Mar 2017 16:24:34

Zagato
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  15:46:30 Show Profile Reply with Quote

Edited by - Zagato on 25 Mar 2017 16:20:18
Go to Top of Page

Zagato
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  15:49:50 Show Profile Reply with Quote

I am picking it up on Tuesday I don,t fancy winching it up on the towing eyes as it seems the brakes are stuck on. Any ideas where to winch up from, bumper brackets maybe? It does move apparently, wheels turning when they have pushed it around so hopefully it will winch up OK and the wheels will free themselves.

The key is stuck in the ignition but the key turns, the gears seem to work, I suppose it is a case of using the bent wire method to get the key out? Never done that before.

Edited by - Zagato on 25 Mar 2017 16:15:12
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2679 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  16:37:57 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I have sent you a PM on UKSaabs regarding this.
Very well bought..looks like a good car. Another one saved!

'73 96 (Vernon),'74 95 (Veronica)plus 4 other 95's and 2 96's
Go to Top of Page

Betsy67
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
409 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  16:47:48 Show Profile Reply with Quote
"I'll just go have a look"
Well purchased
Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3833 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  17:38:28 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Well done!

quote:
Originally posted by Zagato
I don,t fancy winching it up on the towing eyes
I don't think a '71 has towing eyes at all?

quote:
Originally posted by Zagato
The key is stuck in the ignition but the key turns, the gears seem to work, I suppose it is a case of using the bent wire method to get the key out?
Sounds like it needs adjusting the steering column. Good chance the key comes out if you put it in reverse and wiggle the gear lever a bit if it's not too far off.

www.saabv4.com
Go to Top of Page

Zagato
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  17:56:07 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Many thanks Melle, I will have another go again, I didn,t spend too long trying to get it out or trying to open the bonnet, I had a long screwdriver through the grill also but gave up on the second try, I kind of just fell in love with her ( sorry well into a bottle of wine ) the underside which is obviously my thing was so good I couldn,t let her go. She may be a rat looking motor which I like but she ain't going to the scrap yard on my shift.

Your so right Betsy

Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3833 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  18:27:27 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Don't waste your time poking trough the grill with a screwdriver, just get the centre section off (four screws) and you can open the bonnet.

www.saabv4.com
Go to Top of Page

Zagato
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  18:31:19 Show Profile Reply with Quote
First thing to go will be that front grill, I have always REALLY disliked that tin grill look much prefering the later black plastic or cheese grater grill or the USA spec grill as long as it is broken up with some rally spots!

If anyone has a cheese grater or USA spec I would be interested. USA spec would allow me to put some rally stickers on

Edited by - Zagato on 25 Mar 2017 18:40:53
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2679 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  18:40:49 Show Profile Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]I have always REALLY disliked that tin grill look much prefering the later black plastic

Said nobody EVER....really?
I know you are a purist so will probably keep it as it is but I have several plastic grills if you want to swap.

'73 96 (Vernon),'74 95 (Veronica)plus 4 other 95's and 2 96's
Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3833 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  18:42:50 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Funny, I really dislike the US grille, I think the proportions are off somehow. Cheese grater doesn't do much for me either. My favourite is the '69/ '90 tin grill with the rounded off headlight surrounds without washer system holes.

Dotty would look even better on its original (oval hole) wheels, preferably banded and white.

www.saabv4.com
Go to Top of Page

Zagato
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  18:45:11 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Yeah they just don,t do it for me, sad looking, wishy washy look. I love the striking meaner plastic grill or the cheese grater which is by far my favourite.

In fact I used to dream about a certain red V4 with a cheese grater grill about 35 years ago that used to come to SAAB meets in Dorchester. Er I think you own it now John

Go to Top of Page

Zagato
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  18:49:04 Show Profile Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by melle
Funny, I really dislike the US grille, I think the proportions are off somehow. Cheese grater doesn't do much for me either. My favourite is the '69/ '90 tin grill with the rounded off headlight surrounds without washer system holes.

Dotty would look even better on its original (oval hole) wheels, preferably banded and white.

www.saabv4.com

Yes know the ones you mean Melle (even worse lol) but quite rare. Agreed about the round hole wheels, really nice, especially banded IMHO. They changed to slots in 1972 which is correct for mine...

Edited by - Zagato on 25 Mar 2017 18:51:48
Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3833 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  18:53:33 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Sorry, misread, thought yours was '71 but I see it's MY72. Were the plastic grilles introduced in '73-4 or thereabouts?

www.saabv4.com
Go to Top of Page

Zagato
V4 Mad

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  19:00:25 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Yes plastic grills were introduced for 1974... Agreed also about the USA spec, they can look funny with two big reflector dishes either side!

1972 brochures below. I have waited 40 years for a red SAAB, sod the rat look I am going to paint her, it may not be pretty but who cares, I won,t use two pack cellulose but the other stuff that fades more but is safer on the lungs. This one is just for fun.

Edited by - Zagato on 25 Mar 2017 19:08:59
Go to Top of Page

Betsy67
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
409 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2017 :  19:29:11 Show Profile Reply with Quote
USA front panel on tradera at the mo, and Red too. International buyers welcome.
Go to Top of Page
Page  of 6Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Jump To: 
Snitz Forums 2000
SAAB V4 Forum© 2000-04 Snitz CommunicationsGo To Top Of Page