Next Page
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page  of 7

AnttiK
V4 Fan

Finland
103 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  18:17:22 Show Profile Reply with Quote
This car was bought by my dad when it was new. It was daily driven until 2002 it was stored to a barn for 5 years. In 2007 it was taken in to use as a wedding car in my wedding. In 2010 I decided to install EFI to it and had to make full restoration to it.

The was quite a lot of work to do, but I managed to build up the car one metal piece at the time.

Starting point in 2011:

In 2014:

In the beginning of summer 2019 I was finally able to drive the car with Megasquirt 1 installed with following features:
-Peugeot 206 1.4 engine throttle body with ~39mm diameter installed to 1 barrel intake manifold
-Peugeot 306 1.6 fuel injectors 156cc
-Volvo740/Saab900 fuel filter
-Ford EDIS4 controller and edis coil pack
-QSP fuel pump in tank with 3/8" feed and return lines
-36-1 trigger wheel installed to balance axle pulley
-Volvo740 2 wire bosch idle pwm valve (same as in Saab9000?)

Here is a picture of the throttle body and fuel rails:

And engine bay:

It was fun to drive the car last summer. Better throttle response, better startup, less fuel consumption, milder exhaust fumes and so on..

In the end of last year I decided to fit 7.2 cam, sport exhaust from swedish saabclub modified with larger mufflers and Megasquirt 2 for more precise engine control and sequential injection. And the car works even better than last summer. Exhaust produces less noise inside the car, more power and less fuel consumption.

Continues..

AnttiK
V4 Fan

Finland
103 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  19:24:49 Show Profile Reply with Quote
In 2019 std V4 rim centers were welded to Peugeot 307 rim circles by machine shop who makes those steel rim modifications. Those fit perfectly with 31mm offset and 175/65r15 tire to 96.

But I am bored to looks of the standard steel wheel and I think the front brake caliper structure does not work efficiently. I think it might is one of the reasons why car is kind of slightly jerking with partial throttle in constant speed. Also I suspect inner driveshaft joint might cause some vibrations even if I have changed them to less worn parts.

Then I saw that one guy here in Finland modified his 96 wheel hubs to 4x100 pattern. He has Renault Megane I rear drums, where bearings has been installed in the same way as in 96 except bearing outer diameter is 52mm with inner bearing and outer bearing outer diameter is smaller than 52mm. Bearing pocket in Megane drum is 52mm in inner part of the drum and outer part of the drum is 52.3mm diameter. So there has to be made a sleeve between bearings and a sleeve between the drum and outer bearing. Megane drum inner diameter is 203.3mm and 203.2mm in V4 so it should fit with std brake shoes.

As a Front hubs, brakes and driveshaft CV joint he has from Opel astra 1996 1.8 16v. Bearing diameter is the same 72mm as in V4, but bearing fastening 'screw' must be modified to fit wider bearing (37mm vs 30mm in V4) and also steering knuckle must be modified to fit the CV joint.

I decided to use Golf III front hubs where the bearing outer dimensions are the same as with astra front bearing and Polo 1997 HB left driveshaft is 515mm length, which is pretty close to the V4 original from wheel bearing to inner joint. Also I am planning to use VW beetle gearbox driveshaft flange and machine shop is manufacturing special inner driveshafts between VW flange and V4 gearbox differential. Inner joint of the polo driveshaft is CV-joint type and it should be better than V4 ancient design dipole (or dipoid?) type of joint.

Go to Top of Page

Dynorog
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
249 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  22:52:33 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Great stuff
Cheers

Dynorog
Go to Top of Page

AnttiK
V4 Fan

Finland
103 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  07:39:52 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Making some space for outer CV joint with straight grinder:

Test fitment of polo driveshaft, Peugeot 306 caliper and Volvo 240 front disc

I am not very comfortable with volvo 240 disc, because bolt pattern must be changed to 4x100 and adapter must be made for center bore. I know it it will be a stable solution, but how about the MOT. I have not yet found another brake disc option with sufficient offset to fit the brake caliper. At least Volvo 240 and Peugeot 306 brakes should be enough to improve brakes, because dryweight of both cars is about 300kg more than V4's 930kg

Edited by - AnttiK on 02 Dec 2020 06:37:39
Go to Top of Page

chris steeden
V4 Fan

United Kingdom
163 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  10:04:21 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Brilliant! Well done, the 96 is in great hands. Fantastic work being done.
Go to Top of Page

johnnie900
Starting Member

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  23:18:57 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Amazing! Keep up the good work, and post it here! thanks.
Go to Top of Page

AnttiK
V4 Fan

Finland
103 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2020 :  06:36:50 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Thanks. Now the Golf front bearing is fitted to one steering knuckle. I will replace the locking screw with proper ones later and add some locking compound to them.

Go to Top of Page

AnttiK
V4 Fan

Finland
103 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2020 :  06:03:22 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Testing the wheel fitment of barzetta 6.5x15" ET25 rims with 175/65 tires. Good clearance in front, but in the back I think I have to little bit adjust the fenders.

Decided to use Mini 2006 276mm brakes instead of volvo 240 disc + peugeot 306 caliper combination. Mini brake disc has same 4x100 bolt pattern and center bore is only 0.8mm smaller than in Golf III hub. Got the Mini brake calipers 10 euros/each from scrapyard and those fit better to the V4 steering knuckle. Mini brake caliper is also 900grams lighted than the peugeot 306 caliper and newer design.
Go to Top of Page

Derek
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2187 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2020 :  10:45:17 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Looking good. I see a small business here with you supplying conversion kits. Pity you are so far away! #128077;
Go to Top of Page

AnttiK
V4 Fan

Finland
103 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2020 :  05:50:34 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Thanks Derek. I Think I am so busy in my own V4 project and other hobbies, so probably not starting any business on conversion sets. But I am happy to share all of my experience on V4 mods.
Go to Top of Page

UK_Sub
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2555 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2020 :  11:12:01 Show Profile Reply with Quote
It would be amazing if you could detail the parts you used to convert the front and rear hubs and the process for fitting them all together, when you get the chance.
Go to Top of Page

AnttiK
V4 Fan

Finland
103 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2020 :  06:41:41 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I will try to do that after few months when I got the all the special parts from machine shop, because there might still be some changes to setup.

Schedule is following: when I receive the special manufactured inner driveshaft from machine shop I will measure how thick (probably max 10mm) spacer is needed between inner CV-joint and gearbox flange to adjust the driveshaft length equal with original V4 length.

After that I will order the rest of the parts from machine shop: Driveshaft spacer, Brake caliper fitment adapter, rear hub bearing fitment sleeves etc.
Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3830 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2020 :  18:46:41 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Brilliant work Antti!

www.saabv4.com
Go to Top of Page

AnttiK
V4 Fan

Finland
103 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2021 :  17:06:41 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Did some testing with brake caliber adapter mockup for mini brakes and volvo 740 brake disc shield. Volvo 740 shield fixing to steering knuckle needs to be modified.

Go to Top of Page

AnttiK
V4 Fan

Finland
103 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2021 :  14:57:16 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I decided to change the Ford Focus coolant reservoir to Saab 900 original. The shape of the reservoir is better and it is a genuine Saab part

Larger Spal 375mm diameter fan was installed to improve cooling. Fan is quite thin design so I think there is still enought room for headlight wipers. Because of the air filter placement the wiper motor does not fit at the moment, but maybe later.

Also the 1750cc engine with Pinto pistons is now installed in the car. Probably in a few weeks snow and ice will melt from the roads and I can start running in the engine. This time I am going to try this kind of procedure or similar:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I should receive the custom inner driveshafts from machine shop next week and the rest of the custom wheel conversion parts in the end of this month. It was bit hard to find machine shop who will make the parts, but finally I succeeded by studying the tolerances by myself what are needed for the rear drum conversion.

Go to Top of Page

AnttiK
V4 Fan

Finland
103 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2021 :  11:10:59 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Custom inner driveshafts have arrived. They are perfect fit to the gearbox and I can say that those look very professional work

Go to Top of Page
Page  of 7Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Jump To: 
Snitz Forums 2000
SAAB V4 Forum© 2000-04 Snitz CommunicationsGo To Top Of Page