New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 

ratty
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2021 :  08:47:26 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Has anyone supercharged their V4? I need more power from Ratty our trials car but more important low down torque. The Eaton supercharger fitted to modern Mini's should work very well. Any thoughts, experience anyone? At the moment I have 1500 cc engine with new weber 32/36,saab type rally exhaust, standard cam and distributor. On the rolling road the other day the engine produced 73 bhp and 95 ft/lb of torque. Programmable 123 ignition would increase torque again( according to my rolling road mechanic ) and supercharging even more.

nigel martin-oakley

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3830 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2021 :  16:25:47 Show Profile Reply with Quote
https://dailyturismo.com/5k-saab-gone-insaanesupercharged-1971/

I think there are much easier/ cheaper solutions to get more power...

www.saabv4.com

Edited by - melle on 04 Jul 2021 16:27:23
Go to Top of Page

ratty
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2021 :  20:01:23 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Melle that is hideous! And totally impractical. There was a Norwegian guy who fitted one, in the 70's', I have a picture of the car and the supercharger on the car. will try and find it and post it here. NB. we are after torque not bhp. A lot of mx5's' have them fitted. You can also set the boost to what you want. Rolling road essential.

nigel martin-oakley
Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3830 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2021 :  20:31:07 Show Profile Reply with Quote
BHP is the product of torque and rpm.

www.saabv4.com
Go to Top of Page

ratty
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2021 :  21:31:40 Show Profile Reply with Quote
You are quite correct but I am only interested in the torque side. bottom end torque not revs. and not bhp. Superchargers are good at that if set up right. Loads of bhp and revs are not good for climbing steep hills quickly! Anyway I am just interested if anyone has any knowledge on supercharging a Saab v4.??

nigel martin-oakley
Go to Top of Page

Dirtbiker
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2021 :  22:13:44 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I’ve thought about it quite a bit. Only thought about it mind!
I reckon like you say one off a mini from a scrapyard with some way of mounting it and a belt to drive it and you’re away?
I think a cheap way of getting the power you need if you have the time to fabricate the bits to make it fit.
I think it would make a good noise too!
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3830 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2021 :  10:57:22 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Nigel, what type of ignition do you currently use? I've only driven a 96 with 123 ignition once, and it pulled pretty well. The car was used for road rallying and the only other mods were a Jetex exhaust and a Weber 34ICH carb, on an otherwise standard engine.

I've been using VW Hall ignition on mine for a good few years now and I'm not going back to points or Pertronix (with which I've never had much luck anyway): http://www.saabv4.com/index.php/project/hall-ignition/ Parts are still cheap as chips, I bought a VW dizzy on eBay last week for just £12 delivered.

www.saabv4.com
Go to Top of Page

ratty
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2021 :  12:44:10 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Melle I use accuspark electronic ignition cheap and cheerful at the moment but I would like to use 123 ignition :-123/TUNE+4-R-V-V4(bluetooth).My man at the rolling road has good results with this programmable system. It is expensive at £350.00 but the results should be good, and on some cars have been exceptionally good. It is particularly good for increasing torque.
I am concerned about reliability with accuspark type ignition, they aren't much better than the good old points.
Occasionally the car won't start after a run. Then does?? So I think 123 is the way forward. Steve rolling road man doesn't get on with megajolt. I have a standard 123 ignition system on my 2CV which has been on for about 10 years and has performed without fault. If points are fitted they are pigs to fit and set up.

nigel martin-oakley
Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3830 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2021 :  13:20:57 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I think 123 is the best plug&play fit&forget system on the market, £350 well spent I suppose.

www.saabv4.com
Go to Top of Page

ratty
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2021 :  14:36:39 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Well you have to like 123 its Dutch!! You always pay for decent performance. I would say that if I get a 10%+ increase across the range then it is worth it. Also you will get greater economy. I could possibly set it up myself but would let Steve do it in conjunction with the rolling road, then you know it will be set to a premium and to the best for the car.

nigel martin-oakley
Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3830 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2021 :  10:08:18 Show Profile Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ratty
Well you have to like 123 its Dutch!!
I decry every form of nationalism so I don't care where stuff comes from, only if it's good.

www.saabv4.com
Go to Top of Page
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Jump To: 
Snitz Forums 2000
SAAB V4 Forum© 2000-04 Snitz CommunicationsGo To Top Of Page