Printer Friendly 
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic 

Dirtbiker
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1061 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  09:05:52 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Getting pretty close to being back on the road and been doing some of the fiddly jobs over the weekend.

I have spent a bit of time getting the front panel lined up nicely and everything mounted securely and I have the bonnet release mechanism working nicely but I'm pretty sure the release cable is too short. I'm guessing it has snapped in the past.

I seem to remember Melle (I think) suggesting replacing the inner for a Sturmey Archer gear cable from a bicycle. Now, this is obviously right up my street but I'm sat at work with a SAAB bonnet cable and a new Sturmey Archer cable and I can't see how this would work... To be fair there are quite a few variations on these Sturmey Cables - any pointers would be great!

Also, how is the inner cable officially meant to mount to the lever on the front panel - mine is attached with a pinch bolt from a bicycle brake but in my mind it would be much better if what it is attached to could rotate so as to relieve stress on the cable...

I'll post some pics if none of that makes sense!

Cheers

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2679 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  12:23:52 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I have a choke cable on one car..does the same job but a little less to pull on when opening from under the dash...with a clean and smooth opperating mechanism it's not an issue..might be different is the catch was rusty/sticky.

'72 95 (The Flying Banana),'72 96(Bridget),'72 96 (green one)'73 96 (Vernon),'74 95 (Veronica)
Go to Top of Page

UK_Sub
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2558 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  13:01:45 Show Profile Reply with Quote
This old thread might help...

http://www.saab-v4.co.uk/speedball/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1581&SearchTerms=bonnet,release
Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3833 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  22:04:37 Show Profile Reply with Quote
You'll need a brake cable for an old SA 3-speed internal gear hub with drum brake (top quality stuff, very common on Dutch bikes!), not a gear cable. The knob screws directly on the threaded rod that's normally at the hub end.

This image comes from the legendary Sheldon Brown's legacy: http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html

1970 96V4 "The Devil's Own V4"
1977 95V4 van conversion project
1988 900i 8V
Go to Top of Page

Dirtbiker
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1061 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  08:34:54 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I have a good solution for attaching the cable to the release lever if you don't have the correct part:

Solderless nipples available from bicycle or motorbike shops. The nice thing with these particular ones with a hex at each end (rather than a grub screw) is that the hex ends keep it in place while it is free to rotate so avoiding putting stress on the cable.

Melle - These hubs are less common over here, do you have a Sturmey part number for the cable? It's usually three letters then three numbers.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3833 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  17:51:56 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Can't find my Sturmey parts list, think it's in my workshop in NL. Will see if I can source the part number elsewhere.

1970 96V4 "The Devil's Own V4"
1977 95V4 van conversion project
1988 900i 8V
Go to Top of Page

andydeans3
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  16:21:45 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Melle
I've now broken the bonnet release cable.

Did you ever find the part number for this Sturmey Archer cable that you refer to in this thread?

Andy

1978 LHD SAAB 96
1978 MGB Roadster
2008 LHD "Classic" Renault Twingo
Go to Top of Page

melle
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
3833 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  17:50:52 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Oops, this clearly slipped my mind. Again not near a parts list, but this one should work (Gazelle part number 6240/23): https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/sports/cycling/parts/cables/xlc-drum-brake-cable-rear-pear-gazelle-6240-23

Cut the pear shaped end (to the left in the image) off, remove the outer cable and excess parts from the inner cable, replace the original bonnet release inner cable with the bike inner cable, cut it to length and connect both ends; job done. You won't need any of the other parts for this job.

www.saabv4.com
Go to Top of Page

UK_Sub
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2558 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2016 :  12:41:51 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Looks like you can get a new cable here...

http://www.classicsaabparts.nl/a-36199690/carrosserie/motorkapkabel-bouwjaar-1965-t-m-1980/

although it is slightly more expensive!
Go to Top of Page

andydeans3
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2016 :  14:38:38 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Simon

I've ordered the bike cable, highlighted by Melle.

Meanwhile, till it arrives, a bit of string hidden behind the headlight cowal!!

Andy

1978 LHD SAAB 96
1978 MGB Roadster
2008 LHD "Classic" Renault Twingo
Go to Top of Page

Peter96
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2016 :  11:27:41 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I got a generic one from my local car parts store. Think it was about £8. Not as cheap as a bike cable though.
Go to Top of Page
 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Jump To: 
Snitz Forums 2000
SAAB V4 Forum© 2000-04 Snitz CommunicationsGo To Top Of Page