Previous Page | Next Page
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page  of 4

UK_Sub
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2558 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  12:56:03 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Also, as mentioned before - Graham Macdonald in Hereford can fix and test the complete unit for £42
Go to Top of Page

Woody
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2764 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  00:34:05 Show Profile Reply with Quote
An upside down shot which shows similarity to the Volvo type but the pipes face the other way, However it has the same screwlock to cable connection rather than pillar to mate to the eye of the control cable, At a pinch I could transfer the Saabs control housing to it. Feel disinclined to chop the plastic housing on the heater to fit it as is. So will contemplate a bit about bending the tabs and rotating the pipe orientation. Have emailed the manufacturers for info about the valves.
Go to Top of Page

Woody
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2764 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  00:56:22 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Well it's done. Removed the thermostatic cover and bent the tabs on the tube section. However these tube assemblies are made specific to the application so the spacing of the tabs was not compatible when rotated 90 degrees. Thus I had to reduce the width of the tabs to get them to align with the slots on the back plate. It has gone together OK and appears to have a good pressure seal.
Cannot get into photobucket at the moment so will post pics later.
Haven't had any response from the manufacturers ( there's a surprise ).

Edited by - Woody on 27 Jul 2014 09:29:32
Go to Top of Page

Derek
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2191 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  11:12:26 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Yes, that looks familiar. I remember being worried that the tabs would break off after refitting the pipe. Not having a vice handy made things difficult as far as getting something on the back for support when tapping them down. It all worked OK though.
Go to Top of Page

Woody
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2764 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  14:26:24 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Having re-assembled the heater valve, I wanted to test the thermostatic valve. The new one responded quite quickly to heat though the original seemed slower. I set up a test rig with the frying pan and suspended the element of the heater valve and bulb units for the Smiths Temp gauge and an old Saab dash gauge,so I could test that the saab gauge worked and also compare the alignment of the temp needles as the temperature rose.
The thermostatic valve started to move at 50 deg and gradually moved more as temp rose. The Saab manual doesn't actually give a range of NORMAL operating temperature so it would appear 90-95 degrees is normal to the old saab gauge.
Now when the new assembly arrived, if the valve was shut/select for cold, there was still minimal flow, ie I could still blow air through though restricted. ( There is the possibility that at higher temperature the rubber seal inside the valve may well expand and force the flow to cease. ) This leads me to believe that the heater is always warm but the temperature compensated by the flow of cool air through the cowling. Thus on a really hot day you will still have a flow of warm air.
It has to be accepted that during the reassembly of the pipes the back plate was marginally warped. This may have a bearing on the alignment of the valve operating arm which can be compensated for by the adjuster screw as follows.
Now this leads me to the adjuster screw on the side of the selector. The new one has the screw sealed with red gel. If wound in the valve can be forced shut. Don't know whether this is advisable. It would be nice to get an information sheet on the function and use of the assembly.

Go to Top of Page

Woody
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2764 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  14:17:34 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Oh bliss. As seen below the temperature is at normal, with heater selector to cold and I have cool air at the windscreen.
Need to flush the system as I removed the top hose from thermostat to radiator and found some crystalised crud in there.

Go to Top of Page

James Ranaldi
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1475 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  21:32:34 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Nice one Woody....I just love this stuff.

Cheers

James
Go to Top of Page

richard.ss
Starting Member

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  11:31:40 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Replacement rubber seals from Bob' Auto Supply, 44 E Main Street, Westboro, MA 01581, USA at US$ 10.19 each. Part No. 660-1000 Ranco Repair Kit.(Includes instructions) These were used in AMC, Chrysler, DeSoto, Fiat, Ford, GM, Hudson, IHC, Packard, Saab, Studebaker and Volvo!
Go to Top of Page

UK_Sub
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
2558 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  13:47:24 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Great info - thank you!
Go to Top of Page

richard.ss
Starting Member

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  00:12:43 Show Profile Reply with Quote
The rubber seals are available from the USA. Bob's Auto Supply, 44 E Main Street, Westboro, MA 01581, USA 366-4288. Part No. 660-1000 Ranco Repair Kit cost US$10.19. This valve was used on many US cars, Fiat, Volvo and Saab, although the pipes were differently arranged.
They include instructions for the repair.
Go to Top of Page

rsimps
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1616 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  07:37:25 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I remember fitting some model car silicon shock O'rings in mine many years ago.
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2679 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  09:41:47 Show Profile Reply with Quote
(Moved for richard.ss)
quote:
I recently had the collapse of my 1972 V4 heater valve, so I bypassed it and just kept the heater shut off when the weather was hot.
I researched the valve, which is a Ranco valve made in the USA. I found is was original equipment in AMC, Chrysler, Desoto. Fiat, Ford, GM, Hudson, IHC, Packard, Saab, Studebaker and Volvo. Although they seem to use the same valve, the inlet and outlet pipes all seem to be different; one can buy a Volvo one and rotate the pipes.One can take these heater valves apart and replace the rubber seal, then reassemble them. Seals are available from Bob's Auto Supplies, 44 E Main Street, Westboro, Ma 01581, USA. Part No. 660-1000 Ranco Repair Kit. Cost US$10.19 each.
Go to Top of Page
Go to Top of Page

Kvz2000
V4 Beginner

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  22:26:54 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Guys,

Can I ask re my valve, it only leaks when valve closed ( cold position) but fine when open(hot position) but heater is so hot it makes cabin far too warm , any ideas

Cheers

Donald
Go to Top of Page

richard.ss
Starting Member

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  22:31:07 Show Profile Reply with Quote
You can buy the rubber seal at NAPA shops in the USA. These valves were used in many US cars of the same era as well as Volvos. They all had different pipes angles however
Go to Top of Page

richard.ss
Starting Member

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  22:34:24 Show Profile Reply with Quote
NAPA in the USA sell the rubber seal that rots and leaks. These Ranco valves were used in many US cars of this era as well as volvos, although the pipes have different orientations.
Go to Top of Page
Page  of 4Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Jump To: 
Snitz Forums 2000
SAAB V4 Forum© 2000-04 Snitz CommunicationsGo To Top Of Page