|Author|| Topic |
|Posted - 10 Aug 2008 : 23:56:45 |
| Today in the sunshine, finally installed my standard engine into the "Troll".|
The competition engine is waiting in the wings pending acquisition of certain components but in the mean time I needed to install the standard engine to get it running and then through a MOT so I could later install the comp. engine without some numpty over-reving it whilst it's being tested (happened in the past). You will notice the use of my daughters' old swing frame as a support for the engine sylvester, I have installed an engine and gearbox before with it but the weight bent the frame. I reshaped it but the engine still bent it a bit. Needs some re-inforcing for future use.
see my photobucket in my member link but in the meantine I have shown some pics for your enjoyment:--
Edited by - Woody on 15 Sep 2008 22:58:07
|Posted - 11 Aug 2008 : 10:36:19 |
| Looking good! I hope you manage to get a few miles in before the end of the summer.|
A long length of concrete reinforcing rod inside the tube + some sloppy concrete poured in should stiffen it up a bit. You can use the rod to work out the air bubbles.
I'm surprised you leave your watches in the car with the price they fetch now on eBay! They'd buy a pair of Webers.
You need to reset the clock on your camera..............
|Posted - 11 Aug 2008 : 11:29:23 |
| That just looks so good!|
Keep on thrumming
|Posted - 11 Aug 2008 : 14:34:27 |
| Very impressive. Really pleased to see it getting closer to being on the road.|
Edited by - Clive H on 11 Aug 2008 14:35:04
|Posted - 11 Aug 2008 : 17:08:53 |
| Nice job Woody, at least your car looks period. I prefer them to look like this, but we felt forced by the pace of the modern historics to go down the same path as they have with ours. I like the trip set behind the glove box cover.|
|Posted - 19 Aug 2008 : 15:17:24 |
| Your carb is due for removal from the blue car later this week John...will get it back to you shortly!|
|Posted - 19 Aug 2008 : 19:30:14 |
| Thanks Al, I am going to try the Weber first, but that will be a help. Might get it started tonight.|
|Posted - 19 Aug 2008 : 20:11:58 |
| Looking good! Always good to see another V4 closer to completion.|
How long have you been working on this Woody?
Oh...and why "Troll"? Just a nordic pet name or does it refer to an obscure historic feature.
Well done - I wish you well with the closing stages!
|Posted - 20 Aug 2008 : 00:09:03 |
| We have engine start!! Only two immediate problems, the front standard box has blown a seam, which I had expected might happen, and the water pump gland is leaking. I should have expected this too, since it is 30 yrs old, but you always live in hope. Have to dig out the new pump and replace in situe. Haven't done that for 36 years, but I have my handy Kamasa 1/4 drive socket set which will make life easier. Latest pic below. I might add it didn't take much to start, seeing as the engine hadn't run since 1994. Early days yet. Aiming for 1st September MOT and on the road.|
Edited by - Woody on 20 Aug 2008 00:22:14
|Posted - 20 Aug 2008 : 17:21:54 |
To change the waterpump in situ it is much easier to remove front panel and radiator - I have tried to do it without and is too fidly to be worth the effort
Car looks great
|Posted - 20 Aug 2008 : 21:04:56 |
| Thanks John, that's a definite.|
|Posted - 20 Aug 2008 : 21:32:37 |
| very much looking forward to the next instalment|
|Posted - 20 Aug 2008 : 22:26:02 |
| Looks fantastic Woody.|
Where did you get the new screws ( set srews?)which fix the wings to the body?
Do you know what the thread size is?
Can you get them with a Torx head instead of the cross head.
|Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 07:17:20 |
| Looking good...not long now.|
|Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 11:49:18 |
| Along with many others, I've watched with interest as work has progressed on the Troll. Really good to see it nearing completion and being virtually ready for the road.|
|Posted - 25 Aug 2008 : 01:02:42 |
| Put the new water pump in and... it leaked. Shouldn't be such a cheapskate and try to reuse the gaskets, which were Halls. Stripped it all out again.. good experience and put it in with new Halls gaskets and it doesn't leak. But the heater valve does..|
Still got to sort the exhaust.
Oh yes, Rob, I changed the hose clip at the thermostat for a nice shiny one. Changed a few others whilst I was at it.. 40p ea from Halfords.
In case anyone is interested, The best way to get at the bolts on the water pump is to place the car jack and a block of wood under the sump and let it take weight of the engine. remove engine cushion nut and the three bolts holding the engine mount and remove the latter. This clears the area for getting at the bolts preferably with a 1/4 drive socket set and 8mm socket.
Those of you who have replaced the pump previously will probably have discovered this, but those who haven't, then this saves a lot of headache, which I experienced 36 years ago, when I had no sockets and only had an adjustable spanner...
Edited by - Woody on 25 Aug 2008 01:04:33
| Topic || |